From: Paul Emsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 3:15 PM
To: Kim, Sun Kyung <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How does COOT determine protonation states

Hello Kate,

Attached is an example conn file:  it is in a folder called coot-molprobity and has the required format for input to Reduce.

> In COOT, does REDUCE take into account pH and local changes in pKa of atoms when determining protonation states?

In SMILES-speak: NCC(=O)[OH] and [NH3+]CC(=O)[O-] are two entirely different molecules with different residue names. The bond orders, charges, bond lengths and so on are defined by the restraints generator. Coot and Reduce are only doing what they are told to do.

> In COOT, when REDUCE adds hydrogens, does it move any of the non-H atoms too to optimize geometry?

Reduce does not move the non-hydrogen atoms (unless you ask it to do HQN flips). This is true whether or not it is launched from Coot.

> In COOT, does REDUCE automatically flip ASN and GLN and HIS sidechains to optimize H-bonding?

HQN flips are on by default, IIRC.

This is a discussion about ancient (10 years old) code. More recent is the use of Acedrg and Coot's internal hydrogen atom addition method. If you want to have a discussion about protonation and tautomerisation manipulation then we should be talking about that in the context of Acedrg (and Grade2 if you're on the cutting edge of Coot progress).

Regards,

Paul.