Dear colleagues,

As we step into the new year, we sincerely wish you resilience and hope
amidst these challenging times. We sincerely hope that despite the
difficulties, you find moments of strength and tranquillity.

As part of the Development Studies Association’s annual conference this
year, we're organising three panels under the theme 'Gender Justice in
Troubled Times'. The hybrid conference will be hosted by the School of
Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, from June 26-28.

For these panels, we conceptualise gender justice as attempts to recognise,
visibilise, challenge, and dismantle the structures and practices that
perpetuate gender-based inequalities. Gender justice calls for a historical
and global understanding of social, economic, ecological and political
systems that contribute to/ exacerbate discrimination and oppression while
remaining attentive to the specifics of the local. In our conceptualisation
(s), we are inspired by the scholarship and activism of prolific gender
justice proponents, which ground our understanding within an intersectional
framework, rooted in a politics of care, redistribution, recognition, and
representation. We invite co-conspirators to help us understand, expand on
and solidify our vision of what gender justice looks like, how it operates,
and what it comes up against in its revisioning (and restructuring) of the
world in which we live. We, therefore, welcome theoretical, empirical,
methodological, and creative work which unsettles the boundedness of
single-disciplinary thought, while provoking, resisting, prodding, and
picking away at systems of injustice and inequalities. We are open to
different ways in which gender is used as an analytical tool and we welcome
and encourage more expansive conceptions of gender beyond the binary.

These panels invite participants to think critically about the question of
gender justice across different development domains:

   1.

   Gender justice and environmental crises;

   1.

   Gender justice in times of violence and conflict;

   1.

   Gender justice, work, re/production, and exploitation

We invite you to submit abstracts for any of the three panels by the
deadline, Tuesday, January 23, 2024. Submissions should include a short
abstract (<300 characters) and a long abstract (<250 words). For more
details and to submit your abstracts, please visit:
https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/dsa2024/p/14919

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to get in touch.
Thanks very much.

Warmly,

Sharmila Parmanand, Mirna Guha and Reetika Revathy Subramanian

Womxn and Development Study Group Co-Convenors