Hi Nick,
It is so exciting to hear from you. Your approach and research/work are incredibly interesting.

While in a diversified direction, I, too, am fascinated by trauma against the backdrop of cycling and how professional within road cycling have been impacted by, yet engage in experience to 'fuel' their training and career.

Entering into the final years of his life, inflicted by an increasingly deteriorating and failing body, Marx (1993: 156) penned that “there is only one effective antidote for mental suffering, and that is physical pain”. While this figure could not be further removed from the world of sport, the insight expressed by the infamous philosopher may hold sway against the backdrop of those engaged in professional road cycling.

Noted as one of the most physically demanding sports in the world, road cycling is sadistically revered not only for the corporeal toll waged upon the rider but also the cerebral mountains that need to be conquered to enter the ranks of the professional peloton (Nimmerichter, 2018; see also Dekker, 2017; Hamilton and Coyle, 2012). Building a longitudinal sociological study of professional road cyclists in Europe and North America, I have been interrogating the subject of suffering as emotionally experienced and physically performed by those within the sport. While important work has been done on the structural and physiological dynamics of suffering in professional road cycling, there is a void when concerning a broader examination beyond the hyper-masculine vibrato of ‘pushing through the pain’ or the critical management of athletic bodies by those in places of industry and power (see Case, 2015; Gains, 2015; MaMahan, 2015; Newill, 2015; Abdel-Shehid and Kalman-Lamb, 2011; Burstyn, 2009; Hardie, 2009; Gilley, 2006).

What distinguishes this research is the interest and attention to examining the weight that emotional duress has on a rider’s capacity (or desire) to enter into self-imposed suffering. From a sociological perspective, the work seeks to both augment and fill a gulf within the academy and literature on professional road cycling (and sport in general). Through the employment of qualitative research, the work has the potential to holistically broaden an understanding of how and why some cyclists may endure the pain associated with their profession and how temporary physical suffering might be an anecdote employed to offset deeper emotional wounds.

So great to hear from you, Nick! Welcome to the group!!!

Peace,
Jim

James J. Brittain, PhD (he/him)

Professor, Department of Sociology

& Social and Political Thought Graduate Program

Acadia University

Wolfville, Nova Scotia

Canada B4P-2R6

Office Phone: (902) 585-1292