Dear François and all,

Three short comment and I shall shut up on this issue.
It’s obvious that this list does not want to talk about money and the costs of design.
It is also obvious, though unstated, that one of the most persistent preoccupations of phd supervisors and students is MONEY—not necessarily as an end in itself—but as a means to the many ends that lead to a phd: publications, departmental reputation, etc.
Less obvious, but of great importance to practicing designers, is the historical rise in the cost of design services as each generation of design gurus inspire us to take on broader and fuller conceptions of our crafts: social responsibilities towards a growing body of people ands cultures, environmental responsibility to the planet, Design 1,2, 3, 4 etc.

The absence of serious, critical, and well considered thinking about MONEY and the cost of projects is conspicuous. Perhaps, after all, it grows on trees.

David