Hi all

I’m looking for on-gallery “things” (interactives, games, questionnaires, collections searches, etc) that have been built with a “web first” approach.

Really, I mean “content delivered on gallery in a web browser” but if you have other examples where the interactive runs locally but gets content from the web (so it can be updated remotely), I’d be interested in that too.

What I’m mainly interested in is:

• What approaches there are to deal with internet down-time (ie, is this essentially a SPA / PWA running locally which can deal with moments of no network - or something else?)
• The hardware approach (is this a locked down iPad vs fully customised solution)
• Anyone doing interesting things with mini PCs / Raspberry Pis / etc

Context: working with a client who wants maximum control and longevity - they’re [rightly] concerned about the number of on-gallery interactives that fail after very little time being alive and want to mitigate this where possible.

My reading of this is that the web is our best example of tech that survives - and with current browser capabilities there is no reason at all to use anything else for on-gallery experiences. But I’m looking for real-world examples / gotchas / reasons why this is a terrible idea.

Off list fine, or on - whatever suits. Also if you have specific recommendations for people and agencies who do great stuff [particularly this stuff] on-gallery, I’m building a list so would love to hear names.

Thanks all :-)

Mike

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency
https://thirty8.co.uk

** An easy to use web publishing platform for museums: https://themuseumplatform.com **

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg