Dear Lucy,

                    In your email, you say something about considering “when you are acting from ego-driven motivations, and when you are able to attune to and allow yourself to be directed by aims that are good for the systems that you are enmeshed in, from the local to the global.”  That reminded me of a time, long ago, some time in the early 1970s before the publication of “What’s Wrong With Science?” in 1976, when I was developing the argument that led to that book, and “From Knowledge to Wisdom” in 1984, and it suddenly occurred to me, one day, that the ideas I was developing, did not just exist at an intellectual level,  sealed off from my personal life; these ideas had a direct bearing on my own personal life.  I would have to take some personal responsibility in my life for the state of the planet.  That struck me, initially, as an impossible thing to do.  What hope did I have, as an individual person among billions, of having any impact whatsoever on what went on globally?  But then it struck me that everyone is in the same position.  What goes on at a global level – global history in the making – is the outcome of the actions of billions of individuals, and yet none of us are in a position to acknowledge any personal responsibility!  Clearly, I had to work out what would be a reasonable solution, for each individual, of this impossible problem.  And I decided that the reasonable solution would be for the individual person to allocate some small percentage of their time, their life, to helping to care for the health of the planet, with others if possible – perhaps 3%, or 5%, some reasonable, bearable amount.  It’s no good pretending that one is 50% or 80% altruistic; that is all too likely to result in hypocrisy, in a smokescreen for some undesirable kind of selfishness.  This whole idea that selfishness and altruism are somehow mutually exclusive opposites is a mistake.  The best thing I know about this issue comes from Hillel the Elder, quoted in What’s Wrong With Science?, and goes like this:

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?

If I am for myself alone, what am I?

If not now, when?

That strikes me as wisdom indeed.  Our first duty is to care for ourselves, But not just ourselves.  And not tomorrow, but now.  And I love the way the point is made in the form, not of statements, but questions, so that the reader is provoked to think it through for themselves.  A mistake to think that ego and altruism are somehow in opposition to one another, or even distinct.

It seems to me that so many members of FoW rushing off to join LoW is a great pity.  The world today really is in a pretty disastrous state, what with the Ukrainian war, the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, democracy under threat, the climate and nature crises, and the looming threat posed by the mere existence of nuclear weapons.  We urgently need to make progress towards a better world.  But that requires that humanity learns how to do it.  And that in turn requires that our institutions of learning are rationally devoted to the task – effectively designed for, devoted to, and engaged with the task.  At present, they are not.  Above all, our universities, a central and powerful component of our institutions of learning, are not.  Universities are devoted to acquiring and applying knowledge; they are not devoted to helping people resolve conflicts and problems of living, local and global, in increasingly cooperatively rational ways.  Some of that goes on, on the fringes of academia, in Departments of Peace Studies, Development Studies, and elsewhere.  But it is not the central and basic task of the university.  It is simply not designed for that task.  What is urgently needed is a revolution in universities, around the world, wherever possible, so that they become designed for and devoted to that task.  I find it absolutely extraordinary that so many erstwhile members of FoW have found that elementary point impossible to grasp.  Here are people, proclaiming an interest in wisdom, and yet, apparently, lacking even the most elementary shards of the stuff.  And that is to say nothing about the sneers I have received, covert and not so covert, from so many of those who have decided that the task of transforming our institutions of learning is not for them.  What makes the matter all the more extraordinary is that it is just now that more and more people, in and out of academia, are beginning to realize that there is indeed an urgent need to transform universities.  This realization comes from an appreciation that universities have not done nearly enough to galvanize humanity to take effective action to put a stop to the climate and nature crises.  Just when it seems that Friends of Wisdom might really begin to help to get the message across for the urgent need for an academic revolution – a message that might even begin to be acted upon – too many members of FoW, in their wisdom, abandon the project.  It does not speak highly for the genuine wisdom of these lovers of wisdom.

                                                  All good wishes,

                                                               Nick

Website: www.ucl.ac.uk/from-knowledge-to-wisdom
Publications online: http://philpapers.org/profile/17092