Dear colleagues,

Applications are now open for the position of Head of Library Research Services at the University of Bath<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/Vacancy.aspx?ref=CH11111>. If you’d like to discuss the role, please contact Kate Robinson (University Librarian, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) or Rachael Kotarski (current Head of Library Research Services, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Please do share with interested colleagues.

Job title: Head of Library Research Services

Department: Library

Salary: Starting from £56,021, rising to £64,914

SOC Code - Visa Requirements 2451<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/ApplicantSOCcodes>

This role is sponsorable.

Closing date: Tuesday 14 November 2023

Interview date: Thursday 30 November 2023

Reference: CH11111

We are seeking an outstanding individual with exemplary management and communication skills and a passion for open science to lead our Library’s Research Services.

About the role

Working closely with the University Librarian, the Head of Library Operational Services and the Head of Library Academic Services you will shape strategy and enhance services for the benefit of our users.

Reporting to the University Librarian, you will foster innovative thinking while meeting external and internal drivers, developing and delivering services and support to researchers throughout the research lifecycle.

You will have a clear understanding of open research, scholarly communications, research culture and environment, research data management and metrics and appreciate the importance of unique and distinctive collections.

This role is offered on a full time (36.5 hours per week) permanent basis.

About you

We ask you to be curious, collaborative and collegiate in your work, taking forward University strategy, participating effectively in University for and engaging with regional, national and international networks with knowledge and passion. We are looking for excellent leadership and communication skills, alongside demonstrable experience of managing finite budgets, with significant recent experience of working within an HE or Research environment.

About the Department

You will join a dedicated, expert professional team of Library staff committed to the continual development of services to support the University’s strategy: to deliver world-class research and teaching, extend the University’s international influence, and enrich the student experience. We understand and support the importance of continued professional development for all Library staff, to achieve this and as Employer Partners of CILIP we offer CILIP membership for all library colleagues.

We are proud of our reputation and were pleased to be considered the 5th best University in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2024<https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings>; awarded triple Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2023<https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/university-of-bath-awarded-triple-gold-in-the-teaching-excellence-framework-2023/> and ranked in the top 150 universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2024<https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2024>

What we can offer you:

  *   a very generous employer contributory pension scheme
  *   generous annual leave allowance with an additional 5 discretionary days so that you can enjoy a positive work life balance
  *   we are a family-friendly University<https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/family-friendly-workplace/> and with an increasingly agile workforce, are open to flexible working arrangements
  *   an excellent reward package<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/display.aspx?id=1091&pid=221#section2> that recognises the talents of our diverse workforce
  *   a wide range of personal and professional development opportunities<https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/development-programmes-and-courses-for-staff/>
  *   a number of support options available for new and existing staff to help with the cost of some immigration expenses which you may be eligible for: Relocation allowance<https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/relocation-procedure/>, Visa Reimbursement<https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/visa-reimbursement-scheme/>, Interest-Free Loan<https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/interest-free-loan-scheme-for-home-office-application-fees-and-related-legal-costs/>.

We aim to be an inclusive university, where difference is celebrated, respected and encouraged. We have an excellent international reputation with staff from over 60 different nations and have made a positive commitment towards gender equality and intersectionality receiving a Silver Athena SWAN award<https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/university-of-bath-gains-national-recognition-for-gender-equality/>. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our employees and students, so we encourage applications from all genders, backgrounds, and communities, particularly from under-represented groups, and value the positive impact that will have on our teams.

We are very proud to be an autism friendly university<https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/university-receives-ambassadors-for-autism-certification/> and are an accredited Disability Confident Leader; committed to building disability confidence and supporting disabled staff<http://www.bath.ac.uk/hr/working/disability-support/index.html>.

Find out from our staff<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/display.aspx?id=1091&pid=221#section3> what makes the University of Bath a great place to work. Follow us @UniofBath<https://twitter.com/uniofbath> and @UniofBathJobs<https://twitter.com/uniofbathjobs> on Twitter for more information.

Email details to a friend<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/EmailFriend.aspx?ref=CH11111>

Further details:

  *   Job Description & Person Specification<https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/Upload/vacancies/files/24200/Head%20of%20Library%20Research%20JD.doc>

  *   Terms of Employment<https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/employment-terms-and-conditions-for-staff-in-grades-6-to-9-excluding-academic-staff/>

Visa information

If you think you may require a visa to work in the UK, you should refer to our guidance on the Skilled Worker Visa<https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/skilled-worker-visa/> before embarking on a job application to ensure you understand the requirements for sponsorship. You may be eligible to work in the UK via other alternative visa routes such as the Global Talent Visa or by having Settlement / Indefinite Leave to Remain − please refer to our Staff Immigration webpages<https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/staff-immigration/> for further details.

Update to our application process

We are constantly seeking to reduce the unconscious bias that enters any assessment process, with the goal of creating an inclusive and equal assessment process. To support this, personal details will be removed from application forms at the initial shortlisting stage.

All best,
Alice

Dr Alice Motes (they/she)

Senior Data Librarian