From: List for discussions regarding Student Loans Company and Bursaries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Boylan, Emma
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2023 3:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Health Courses and Student Loan Funding

Hi all,

I'm doing a piece of work with our School of Health at the moment with regards to their processes and the university's student record system (ie, they often don't work well together!). This has included some pressing issues regarding their students' eligibility for student loans for the final part of their course. If there is anyone out there who has similar programmes who'd be happy to have a chat about how you manage it with your student record system, I would be very grateful - please message me!

From what I can gather from discussions so far, the way our programmes are structured, in particular the nursing and midwifery ones, the students quite often are still doing placement hours into the next academic year (so into a 4th year, when the course is only 3 years long). They are then logged as dormant/repeat without attendance as there doesn't seem to be anywhere else for them to go, and no fees attached. This, of course, impacts the student and they can't get a loan as they are not confirmed as attending for that 4th year (or part of year).

I'd love to hear how others are managing this.

Any sage advice, most welcome!

Thanks,

Emma

[cid:image001.png@01D9FB90.D3418850]