Thanks, Laura. I looked over Bagliani/Senocak's new "A People's Church: Medieval Italy and Christianity, 1050–1300" and didn't find anything specific, but the Italian pieve system may have different customs just as you suggest.

Best,
John

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:15 AM Laura Jacobus (Other) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As you don't seem to have had a reply to this maybe I can kick things off by saying I'm not aware of such legislation in Italy (which doens't mean there wasn't any), but I think there was a very strong tradition of lay confraternities being 'attached' to churches and maintaining at least a chapel in them, if not more. At the Arena Chapel in Padua, which was a 'private' church ouside the diocesan structures, there was a confraternity which had repsonsbility for the upkeep of the entire church. Ihope this starts the ball rolling...

Laura

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of John Shinners <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 28 August 2023 21:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Nave obligations

Hi all,

In England, synodal and diocesan legislation assigned parishioners the responsibility for the upkeep of the nave. Was this also the Continental custom?

Thanks,
John

--
John Shinners
Emeritus Professor, Schlesinger Chair in Humanistic Studies

"Learn everything. Later you will see that nothing is superfluous." -- Hugh of St. Victor (d. 1141)