Fellow Learning Developers

I came across this World Economic Forum article on how AI threatens to undermine ‘traditional’ HE teaching (which, granted, the article presents in rather reductive terms) and how a turn towards focusing on ‘durable skills’ would help overcome this challenge.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/09/higher-education-model-for-ai?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=Jobs%20and%20Skills&utm_content=27%2F09%2F2023%2013%3A00&fbclid=IwAR2UXQ_zTZCHCg80qCVpqOkkKfOI5aUeONEpVMCMw620ygGKYWvM2eHgyWc

Here’s a definition of ‘durable skills’ from American private HE enterprise Minerva Project:

‘We define durable skills — which can be grouped in broader competencies such as critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration — as a set of skills that can be transferred across domains and contexts, and that endure, regardless of technological and sectoral evolution.’ (https://learn.minervaproject.com/hubfs/MinervaProject_TeachingDurableSkills_Insights2023.pdf?utm_source=wef&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=Insights2023, p. 3)

Has anyone here come across this term before? It sounds awfully like our domain!

Best wishes

Ed Powell

Dr Edward Powell, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support

University of Reading Library, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AE
: www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice

Working pattern: Monday-Wednesday 08:00-17:00; Thursday 13:00-17:00; Friday 09:00-17:00

My pronouns are he/him/his

To unsubscribe from the LDHEN list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=LDHEN&A=1