Latest news from Plus magazine - http://plus.maths.org

Latest article

What is symplectic geometry?

This beautiful version of geometry was developed to keep track of things that move! Here's a very brief introduction.

Read more

marbles

Current favourites

Circles rolling on circles

Imagine a circle with radius 1cm rolling completely along the circumference of a circle with radius 4cm. How many rotations did the smaller circle make? Be prepared for a surprise!

Read more

coin

Two-faced conic sections

The conic sections can be defined by slicing through a cone. They can also be defined in terms of a point (the focus) and a line (the directrix). How are the two definitions connected? Through Dandelin spheres! Find out more in this article...

Read more

conic section

Latest podcasts

Gravitational waves reveal cosmic hum

There's been some huge news in the world of cosmology: for the first time scientists have detected a low frequency hum of gravitational waves. In this podcast we find out what these new results mean, and why they're so exciting, with three of our favourite cosmologist: Michalis Agathos, Amelia Drew, and Ulrich Sperhake.

Listen

Black holes

Sarah Hart: Once upon a prime

Maths and literature: there are more connections than you think and they'll enhance your pleasure of both. Find out more with the fabulous Sarah Hart in this podcast!

Listen

Black holes

Maths in a minute

Want facts and want them fast? Our Maths in a minute series explores key mathematical concepts in just a few words. From symmetry to Euclid's axioms, and from binary numbers to the prosecutor's fallacy, learn some maths without too much effort.

Support Plus
Plus is free for all, but to support our activities we depend entirely on donations and grants from organisations and individuals who share our commitment to making a difference to mathematics education and engagement.

If you'd consider supporting Plus we'd be very grateful. Your generosity has a real impact, helping Plus to continue reaching millions of readers worldwide.

Twitter icon

Facebook icon

If you no longer want to receive emails from us, please unsubscribe here.

To unsubscribe from the PLUS-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=PLUS-ANNOUNCE&A=1