---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Family Therapy & Systemic Research Centre <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 at 09:28
Subject: Emancipatory Approaches in Couples' Intervention Research. Family Process
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hello subscriber
Please find details of this new research paper below.

Cover Image Family Process

Early View

Online Version of Record before inclusion in an issue
Open Access

ORIGINAL ARTICLES

Emancipatory approaches in couples' intervention research
Andrew P. Daire, Ryan G. Carlson, Ashley Pointer

e12890 | Version of Record online: 08 May 2023

A lack of diversity exists in couples research with an overrepresentation of white, middle to upper income couples. Additionally, researchers often do not reflect the study sample, particularly when studying underrepresented minority and historically marginalized (URM-HM) populations. Emancipatory research practices focus on language, processes, and practices to ensure that researchers and the research they conduct honor and contribute to the empowerment of the URM-HM research participants. Therefore, in this paper, we discuss five critical considerations with recommendations for emancipatory research practices for including couples from URM-HM populations. The aim is to provide a framework for researchers to critically reflect on their work with URM-HM populations. The research practices include: (a) research positionality and reflexivity; (b) understanding of the population being served; (c) power and empowerment; (d) accountability, voice, and participant engagement; and (e) research that benefits URM-HM populations and challenges the systems that perpetuate inequities. Additionally, we present practical strategies to implement these five considerations based on our own experiences conducting community-effectiveness studies with low-income and diverse couples.

To unsubscribe from the SYSTEMICRESEARCHCENTRE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=SYSTEMICRESEARCHCENTRE&A=1

--
Dr Giles Yeates
DClinPsych, MSc (Clin Neuro), AFBPS, C Psychol

00447816 868100
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-giles-yeates-5b3016178/

Rippling Minds
https://twitter.com/DrYeates
https://www.facebook.com/Rippling-Minds-112224580213629/
www.ripplingminds.com (under construction)

NeuroFlow
https://twitter.com/NeuroFlowTaiChi
https://www.facebook.com/NeuroFlow-Tai-Chi-1875885455991384/
www.neuro-flowgroup.com

HCPC Registered, No: PYL 21869
BPS Chartered Psychologist: 086546
Tai Chi Union of Great Britain Insured Instructor No: /1328

To unsubscribe from the NEURORELS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=NEURORELS&A=1