Colleagues,

We are hiring a Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor for the coming year.
We would love someone who can come for the full year, but if there are
candidates that are interested in other schedules, please let them know to
apply and to contact me. Please share this advert far and wide so we can
recruit a great colleague for next year.

The Department of Geography at the University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill is seeking an instructor to teach introductory and advanced courses in
human geography in our vibrant community. Candidates may apply here:
https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/257890
Review of materials will begin June 1, and continue until the position is
filled.

The instructor will teach up to three courses in the fall semester and up
to three courses in the spring semester. All courses will be live,
in-person instruction. Key elements and responsibilities of the position
are as follows:

· Courses will include a mix of introductory and advanced classes. There is
some flexibility on course offerings. Introductory level courses might
include topics such as: World Regional Geography; Geographies of
Globalization; Development and Inequality; and Geographies of specified
regions in accordance with the instructor’s areas of expertise. Advanced
courses may be in a range of thematic areas that match the instructor’s
areas of expertise.

· The instructor will be able to rely on existing course syllabi and class
plans that have been developed within the department and to adapt them
according to their experience and areas of expertise.

· Teaching assistants will be available to support instructors in large
format courses.

· The instructor will effectively engage class members in discussions
during class sessions, bringing the instructor’s unique background and
expertise to the course experience by helping students apply their new
knowledge to relevant, real-world problems.

· The instructors will provide verbal and written feedback to students as
appropriate and grade student work (and/or work with TAs on grading where
appropriate).

· The instructor will support student learning by establishing and
communicating regular office hours and responding to student issues and
questions related to the course.

· The instructor will maintaining regular communications with the Associate
Chair and Chair of the Department of Geography about students’ experiences,
potential barriers, ideas for enhancement, etc.

· The instructor will have the opportunity to engage in department and
university life, including by attending department events, workshops and
colloquia, and taking advantage of teaching and training resources
available across campus.

Required qualifications: The candidate must have a PhD or an MA in
geography, advanced knowledge in a range of human geography topics, and
prior teaching experience specifically for geography courses.

Please feel free to reach out to Elizabeth Havice, Professor and Associate
Chair, with any questions that you have about the position:

Preferred qualifications: PhD preferred

Salary: $13,000/course