Many colleagues will have wondered, post-2016, why large car manufacturers
would continue to make cars in the UK after Brexit, apart from Nissan which
keeps being bribed to stay.

Now, "UK car manufacturing hit a 66-year low in 2022", the lowest level
since 1956 -
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/25/cars/uk-car-production/index.html#:~:text=UK%20car%20manufacturing%20hit%20a,auto%20supply%20chains%20crippled%20output
.

Now that the EU has stipulated a framework ending carbon-emitting cars by
2035, plus strong rules re EV battery material sourcing and manufacturing
requirements and recycling and re-use, the UK has no chance of meeting
these regulations.

This socio-economic tsunami plus the admission by the snake-oil salesmen's
snake-old salesman, Nigel Farrage, that Brexit has failed, leads to a great
piece by Umair Haque (
https://eand.co/is-britain-finally-ready-to-admit-brexit-was-a-catastrophic-mistake-60b9a76a585c
)

"Let me give you an analogy. A metaphor. You go to a doctor. A quack. He
gives you pills. You take them for a while. Instead of feeling better, you
feel worse, much worse. The quack doctor says: so sorry, my treatment
failed. Meanwhile, it turns out, those pills gave you cancer. This is where
Britain is now."

Will this change anything? No.

The dirty white offshore money that wants the UK as an unsupervised,
unregulated financial land-fill for the worst global accountancy frauds
will continue to make money, and doesn't care..

--
Dr Jon Cloke
Senior Research Associate - ENR-Demos

*Recently published: *

*Extending energy access assessment: The added value of taking a gender
perspective*

Annemarije Kooijman, Joy Clancy, Jon Cloke,

Energy Research & Social Science,

Volume 96,

2023