Archives and Collections Manager (Project)
Glasgow Zine Library
(Part Time: 3 days per week)
£27,500 pro-rata (£16,500 per annum)
Fixed term freelance contract from June 2023 until December 2023

Full details and to apply: https://www.glasgowzinelibrary.com/work-with-us
++

About the role:
Glasgow Zine Library (GZL) are seeking an Archives and Collections Manager to fulfil the following roles: Managing and creating access to Glasgow Zine Library’s growing zine collection and its developing archive collection, including creating relevant procedures and policies and maintaining the catalogue.

Job Description:
You will be responsible for the development of the growing zine library and archive collection. This includes providing and developing routes of access for users, and supporting the development of representative and inclusive collecting. You will be responsible for the maintenance of the online catalogue, including cataloguing, metadata, documentation and accessions.

You will be responsible for updating and developing policies and documentation related to the collection, and ensuring compliance with any heritage-related conditions or criteria that GZL may be subject to now or in the future. You will be responsible for training volunteers to enable your work, and you will also work with an Archives and Collections Assistant on a regular basis who will report to you.

You will work with the communications team members in the GZL staff to promote and celebrate elements of the collection through appropriate messaging in our promotional materials, and with the programming team members to develop (and in some cases, lead) community events that promote engagement with the catalogue. You will also work with senior team members to consider the long-term future of the zine collection and archive.

Everywhere that is possible, we hope to find a community-led approach to matters of cataloguing that allows flexibility within the collection to account for the diversity and range of voices found within the zines themselves.

Please note: This is a fixed-term contract for a project that is already underway, with the possibility of a project extension, subject to funding.

About Us:
Glasgow Zine Library (SCIO SC050309) is a community archive and zine library based in Govanhill, Glasgow, established in 2018. We have a growing international collection of an estimated 2000 zines (DIY, self-published magazines). A significant amount of work has been undertaken to develop policies and procedures around our public-facing collection, online catalogue, and growing archive. We have received hundreds of donations, and find that we need a dedicated Archives and Collections Manager, and an Archives and Collections Assistant.

GZL also hosts a blended online/offline programme of workshops, professional development opportunities, community meals, film screenings, discussion groups, reading groups, arts and crafts, social clubs, heritage activities and more. All our events are free or pay-what-you-can, and adhere to the principles of zine-making:  uplifted marginalised voices, community-building, alternative forms of learning and skill-sharing. We also programme Glasgow Zine Fest, an annual celebration of zine culture, now in its 9th year.

This year marks an exciting period of growth and consolidation for our collection. We have been granted National Lottery Heritage funding to conduct a condition survey of the collection, develop our archive (including cataloguing, digitising, and making strategic purchases), train community heritage volunteers, and run a programme of community heritage activities (the latter led by our Programme Coordinator).

Full job description, including responsibilities and desired skills/experience: https://www.glasgowzinelibrary.com/work-with-us

++

GZL understands that access to the training and experience relevant to this role can be inaccessible, and as such we encourage people with varied experience to apply for this position.

If you meet some but not all of the criteria and would like to have an informal chat about the position, please get in touch.

++

Deadline for applications: 19th May 2023, 5pm
Interviews: Week of 29th May 2023
Role to begin: June 2023

Please direct any enquiries to LD, our Director, at [log in to unmask]

++

Learn more about Glasgow Zine Library here: www.glasgowzinelibrary.com