Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:56:19 +0000
From: Georgina Pegu <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mentorship programme

Hello,

As in previous years, the SSI will be running a free mentorship programme from 24 April to 26 June 2023, as part of the
SSI Research Software Camp (RSC). The programme is aimed at beginners who have little experience with research software (coding)
in academia.

We’re currently looking for participants to join the programme and volunteers to join as expert mentors.

   Mentees

Have you recently started coding as part of your research activities? Do you want to learn but don’t know where to start? Join
the programme and get help from a dedicated research software expert!

Read the call for mentees for further information, including how to apply.

   Mentors

We are looking for volunteers to mentor beginners who code in academia as part of the RSC mentorship programme. Volunteers will
ideally identify as Research Software Engineers, even if that’s not their current job title.

Mentoring challenges not only how you perceive your current skills and knowledge but also how you explain concepts or skills to
help develop and motivate others. Becoming a mentor will help you expand your skill set, take an active role in the uptake of
good research software practices and contribute to forming future RSEs.

Read the call for mentors for further information, including how to apply.

   Help us spread the word

Feel free to circulate this information with your contacts.

You can also help us by retweeting us or sharing this post on LinkedIn.

   About the Research Software Camp

The next Research Software Camp will be held from 19th to 30th June 2023. Over the course of two weeks, we will host a panel
discussion, basic skills workshops (R, Python, visualisation, etc.) and a mentorship programme. We will also publish curated
online resources, addressing varying approaches to learning to code in academia.

Thank you very much,

Georgina Pegu

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann
carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336. The Carpentries / local-uk / see
discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink