Call for Panellists: Queering Environmental Justice through Methods of Art and Activism

Annual International Conference
Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG)
London, 29 August – 1 September 2023

Conveners: Martin Zebracki & Maria Rovisco, University of Leeds

Session format: In-person
Proposed date: 31 August 2023

We invite expressions of interest from colleagues at all career stages and from diverse disciplinary backgrounds to participate in our proposed panel. The panel aims to explore the potential of methods of art and activism, or ‘artivism’, in examining the relationship between social inequality and environmental justice.

We are particularly interested in investigating the roles of artivism in addressing the impact of severe and sudden environmental changes on marginalised communities, with a focus on gender and sexual minorities.

The panel aims to initiate a dialogue between scholars working with diverse epistemologies and geographical contexts, and we especially welcome contributions focusing on Global South communities.

Panellists will be requested to submit a position statement in advance of the panel, to facilitate critical exchange and discussion of innovative approaches, opportunities, as well as challenges related to the use of artivist methods.

We are keen to discuss any plans for outputs with the participants following the event.

By 17 March, please submit your expression of interest via this form link: https://forms.office.com/e/mzimNeUiWR

This activity is part of the project ARISE: Artivism for Environmental Justice – Critical Interdisciplinary Methodologies for Inclusive Change, funded by the Research England LAHRI Interdisciplinary Research & Impact Fund for Culture

Dr M. M. (Martin) Zebracki
Associate Professor of Critical Human Geography
School of Geography
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
United Kingdom