I absolutely agree. I have a recent anecdote about this to share. I was at a workshop where the majority of attendees were medicinal chemists, comp chemists, biologists. I found out that some (many?) were even performing comp chem studies (where ligands and waters were important) on structures downloaded straight from the PDB without even checking associated electron density for such ligands/waters or even realizing potential side chain issues (not even including about any potential main chain or other quality/validation issues).

Best regards,
Debanu

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 12:41 PM Tom Peat <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello All,

I agree with Dale that we don't have a good way to model these things and it has been a discussion for a very long time with no proper answer.

Two more small points- we (or at least I do this all the time) don't model the N- or C-terminal residues that I don't see. They are most likely there somewhere (waving goodbye in the solvent mask) and that seems to be (relatively) standard practice, so I'm not sure how different this is to not putting in side chains that can't be seen? We don't replace with Ala, so people should know what the actual sequence is, but there is no evidence for a side chain. A multi-model is likely the better way to go, but isn't as feasible currently as the single model we normally deposit. As mentioned by others, we shouldn't try to put in ligands or co-factors that we don't see either...

One other point- although we should educate, the PDB has estimated that 99% of the users are not structural biologists (nor modellers or others with training), so no matter how much we try to educate people, the vast (vast, vast) majority of people will take the models as the 'truth'. So if we don't see something, the conservative approach is to probably avoid putting it in, otherwise it will get propagated forever.

My two cents. cheers, tom

From: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Dale Tronrud <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2023 7:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] To Trim or Not to To Trim

Hi

    As a frequent contributor to prior discussions on this same topic I
would like to broaden the discussion a bit.  I'm sorry to say that most
of the comments on this threat are exactly the same positions that have
been expressed many times over the years.  I don't want to spent time,
again, retyping my opinions on how I prefer to torment the parameters of
my models to express what I believe is going on inside my crystals.

    The fundamental problem is that the parameters we are forced to use,
in our PDB depositions and in the refinement and model building programs
available to us, are wholly inadequate.  We cannot accurately (or
precisely) describe what we are are envisioning for the surface side
chains, and sometimes entire stretches of main chain, in our proteins.
We can continue to argue with each other year after year, but there is
no solution to this problem other than changing the nature of PDB models
and allowing a reasonable description of multi-conformation models.

    I believe it is fair to say that the consensus after a previous
round of this discussion was that, at the very least, we need a flag for
each atom which indicates whether that atom was placed based on electron
density or simply to make a chemically complete set of atoms for that
type of monomer.  I haven't looked but I think that was about five or
ten years ago.  Since then the PDB has made major changes to the
structure of PDB entries that will require most software for analysis of
macromolecular models be rewritten and right now that organization is
making a major push to get us to virtually attend a workshop to help us
make this transition.  And yet I don't think there is anything in this
new data dictionary to help us with this important but intractable
problem.

    Unless the PDB gives us the parameters we need to properly describe
a macromolecular model, and the refinement/model building developers
give us the tools to make use of them, we will be back here again, every
five years or so, rehashing this debate over exactly the same,
irreconcilably poor, solutions to this problem.

Dale E. Tronrud