Drawing as data, methodology and pedagogy (working title)

An international collection of essays and research papers edited by Tessa Berg, Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh) and Tracey Bowen University of Toronto (Canada).

Call for chapter proposals

Drawing is a language that has been accessible to most of us since we could hold a crayon. Drawing helped us communicate about our world before we could write words. Drawing produces data, is a methodology for inquiry, is a pedagogical strategy for problem solving, and drawing is an accessible language for concretizing thought and emotion and communicating our lived experiences. Drawing as a research methodology provides insight into participants’ perspectives on their experiences in a way that words alone cannot. Drawing as an active strategy for problem solving provides educators, researchers, and students with an opportunity to understand multiple stakeholder worldviews and experiences before designing alternative solutions. Drawing is a language that can be analyzed as text, as a conduit for reflection, and as a way to construct knowledge. The intention behind this proposed edited collection is to provide insight into diverse aspects of drawing as both a process and product (data) that visually stories our human experiences, interactions, and inquiry.

We are seeking theoretical papers, empirical studies, pedagogical and practice-based research that relate to (but not limited to) topics such as:

  *   Rich Pictures
  *   Drawing as methodology
  *   Interpreting participant generated data (drawings)
  *   Multimodal and/or Visual literacies and drawing
  *   Graphicacy
  *   Comics
  *   Problem solving through drawing
  *   Collaborative drawing
  *   Drawing and diverse world views
  *   Drawing and equity, diversity, and inclusion
  *   Drawing as language or text
  *   Drawing as problem visualisation

Submissions:

Please send a 500 word summary of your proposed chapter to: Tracey Bowen, University of Toronto Mississauga [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by April 15, 2023.

Dr. Tracey Bowen, (she/her)
Professor, Teaching Stream
Institute of Communication, Culture, Information & Technology
University of Toronto Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Rd.
Mississauga, ON
L5L 1C6