Hi there dear list members

(Sorry for cross-posting, please do share with your networks)

I am working as a Consultant to the British Council on a Gender Analysis of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) in Research and Innovation in low- to -middle income countries. I am a public health and psychology/behavioural science researcher with disabilities with a background of working with scientific teams on international donor agency and university projects.

The British Council team conducting the Analysis are looking for women and men researchers with disabilities in South Africa and Indonesia to take part in one focus group per country or an individual interview, and also women researchers working in on gender and STEM (with or without disabilities) to participate in one focus group per country or an interview (three interviewees sought per country). We expect that participants will be working in STEM research and innovation at higher education institutions, research organisations or as independent Consultants in South Africa and Indonesia.

The topic of the focus groups and interviews will be barriers and enablers to participating in the Higher Education Institutions and Research Environment for STEM research and innovation in South Africa or Indonesia.

For researchers with disabilities: it doesn't matter if you haven't told your employer or colleagues about your disability/ies. All information shared with us will be stored and treated ethically and kept in the strictest confidence in password protected files. We can hold individual interviews for people who don't want to share their views with a group or feel uncomfortable about doing so. The identities and identifying details of participants may be removed and remain anonymous if any participant would prefer that. Any interested participants with disabilities who would feel more comfortable speaking with a researcher who also has disabilities themselves may arrange to speak with me. For researchers who don't speak English, a translator will be present.

The focus groups and interviews will be held online In January-mid February 2023 using Zoom, Skype or Microsoft Teams be scheduled at times of convenience to interested participants. Whilst our preference is for focus groups. We will be hugely grateful to hear from anyone interested to take part. There is no remuneration or reward for participating but your views will contribute to shaping British Council policy and future STEM funding calls. The results will be disseminated back to participants.  Please contact me, Dr Cathy Mungall-Baldwin at [log in to unmask] and I will share your details with two female colleagues (also independent gender consultants).

Grateful thanks and happy new year!
Best wishes,
Cathy Mungall-Baldwin

--

Dr Cathy Mungall-Baldwin, BA, MA, MSc, DPhil (PhD), MPH, MSc Psych (candidate)
Associate Research Fellow, Institute of Health and Wellbeing, University of Glasgow