Thanks Martin, I’d not heard about the UoO Institute, but did hear Toby Ord speak at the Bristol Festival of Ideas about this. Very interesting.

Re: climate breakdown being in the second category though, I wonder if that assessment places climate breakdown separately from other linked co-/compound impacts from human overconsumption, such as biodiversity collapse … (EIA 101) This journalistic polemic makes the case well enough…

Addressing Climate Change Will Not “Save the Planet”

https://theintercept.com/2022/12/03/climate-biodiversity-green-energy/

The crux of the problem is that mainstream environmentalists have siloed climate change as a phenomenon apart from the broad human ecological footprint, separate from deforestation, overgrazing of livestock, megafauna kill-off, collapsing fisheries, desertification, depleted freshwater, soil degradation, oceanic garbage gyres, toxification of rainfall with microplastics, and on and on — the myriad biospheric effects of breakneck growth.”

In terms of problem conceptualisation and risk perception, perhaps we should be focusing more on growth/overconsumption as the main risk, rather than climate.

Daniel Black

Programme Director, TRUUD

Tackling Root Causes Upstream of Unhealthy Urban Development

Population Health Sciences

Bristol Medical School

07725 998 550

Website