I'm fairly convinced that the etymology of "bloody" was as a blasphemy referring to Jesus' blood, cf. other references to crucifixion in the obsolete "zounds" (God's wounds) and "Gadzooks" or "zooks" (God's hooks = nails), so omitting or altering "God". All very bloody.

Sent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------
From: Tom Wolber <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 06/12/2022 10:49 (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXT] Re: Questions questions (just a little one)

I don't have any hard etymological evidence, but I have always thought the connection was obvious and told my students so. If you are "krank," you tend to be cranky. There are many such hidden connections between the two languages, e.g., Zimmer / timber, Zaun / town, Zeit / tide, Garten / yard, etc. I am also fairly convinced that the very British term "bloody" has nothing to do with blood, but is related to the German adjective "blöd(e)," meaning dumb, silly, feeble-inded, idiotic, naive. (Tom Wolber, 12/6/22)