Hi everyone,

I hope your first week of teaching is going ok.

Most people are giving learners their diagnostic tests next week (Week 2).

We need to standardise our marking systems before we mark certain activities of the Speaking and Writing tests. This is so everyone is marking to the same standard. It's a City & Guilds requirement.

Listening and Reading and Writing Activity (Grammar) tests are ok to mark. But we need to do a standardisation exercise on the Speaking discussion (Activity 3) and Writing (Activity 3). Level 1 & 2 should also assess the Presentation (Activity 2).

We need to return to the original format where tutors agree a date and time to meet (in person) rather than via Teams. As a group you need to come to an agreement about the mark(s) you would award.

The groups according to level are:

Entry 1 – Susie, Helen M, Valentina, Katie.

Entry 2 - Helen H, Gordana, Carlos.

Entry 3 - Gosia, Maryam, Leanne.

Level 1 - Emma, Lucy, Hilary.

Level 2 - Danny, Vivien.

The tutor's name in bold is the team leader. Their responsibility is as follows:

Let me know if you have any problems.

For Pre-Entry tutors, whilst you are not doing exams, you may find it useful to meet up when you have completed your Diagnostic Tests and check class levels.

Hope next week is a bit more settled.

Regards,

 Vivien

Vivien Heywood-Hill

Adult Learning & Skills C-ordinator (ESOL)

Newcastle City Learning

Children, Education & Skills Directorate

Westgate College

West Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE4 9LU

This email, including any attached files, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, the disclosure, copying or distribution of the information included in this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please notify us by replying to this communication and confirm deletion of the email. Thank you for your co-operation

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]