An e-mail from a colleague at the University of the Highlands and Islands.

Regards,

Rich

From: Geordie Cryle <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 08 September 2022 14:00
Subject: Digital Literacy in Rural Scottish Contexts | Seeking Participants

With apologies for any cross-posting

Dear all,

I am an academic librarian with the University of the Highlands and Islands and a postgraduate researcher with RGU in Information and Library Studies. I am hoping to find contacts who may be interested in participating in my research.

I’ll be completing my MSc dissertation this coming year. It will be exploring how public libraries support adult digital literacy in rural Scottish contexts, focussing on the Gen X age bracket. (c.1965-1984)

I want to gain insight into how Scotland’s rural public libraries are supporting their communities in this regard, and how this compares to their needs as highlighted in the pedagogical literature. From this,  I will formulate an argument as to how the digital literacy and skills of adults in Scotland’s rural communities can be supported into the future.

My main group for interview and survey would be Scottish public library workers involved in these contexts and their clientele communities. However, I am also very interested in speaking to others who have perspectives on rural digital issues, whether academically or as a practitioner, be it in Scotland or elsewhere. While I am focussing on the Gen X age bracket, gaining insight into work among other age demographics may provide helpful context.

I would be very grateful if you or any contacts you know of would be willing to offer insight and perspectives on these issues. Do reach out to me for an informal chat. I’ll be looking to begin formal interviews and surveys in January 2023. All responses will be anonymised. The final paper will be completed in September 2023.

Do circulate this email to any potentially interested contacts you may have.

This research has been subject to ethical approval by the Robert Gordon University.

With thanks, and best wishes,

Geordie

Geordie Cryle

Librarian | Leabharlannaiche

Highland Theological College

High St, Dingwall, IV15 9HA

T: 01349 780215 | 07761606407

A Community of Faith and Scholarship

htc.uhi.ac.uk

Highland Theological College UHI | Scottish charity no. SC 029190

For the most up to date library information, please refer to our LibGuide.

To unsubscribe from the EMLT list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=EMLT&A=1