Hello,
 Demeaning can be considered a _specific_ instance of orthogonalisation wrt an ( implicit or explicit ) global mean. For your model, I am assuming you have a 3 EV design - global mean and two other covariates. Demeaning the two covariates makes them orthogonal to the mean, there is generally no need to orthogonalise further _unless_ you have a particular reason to attribute any joint signal to one or other of the two EVs.

Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster
FMRIB Centre