Dear Michele,

the Gaussian Process inside eddy sometimes struggle to deal with data that has been denoised. The reason is that the denoising introduces an almost total correlation between the estimates of two of the hyper-parameters, so the optimisation essentially wanders around in a completely flat valley.

I am a little surprised that it crashes because it runs out of memory. Are you sure that this is what happens, and that it isn't just that the job gets killed because it has used up too much CPU time? Anyway, from your perspective it doesn't really matter since either way it won't run to completion.

My "solution" would be to not use denoising. For "good" data denoising has very little impact on the end results, and we rarely/never use it. I guess that one can make a case for denoising if one has "old-style" data with a limited number of volumes/directions. I don't have a sure-fire solution if you want to persist with denoising, but I would suggest trying:

1. --hpcf=MML  (use a different cost-function to estimate hyper-parameters)
2. --nvoxhp=10000 (use a much larger sample of voxels to estimate hyper-parameters from)

You can also combine 1 and 2. There is a third option, which is to explicitly set the hyper-parameters yourself. But that is a bit of a nuclear option, and I would need to know more about your data to be able to advice you on that.

Best regards Jesper