Dear Melissa,
applyxfm4D should be a standalone command, rather than an option to flirt. Assuming the 4D image has already been motion-corrected  ( and so is internally aligned ) then your flirt call is fine, however you may find epi_reg ( called with a single example 3D image taken from the 4D image ) generates a better affine matrix. Either way you can use that output with applyxfm4D or applywarp ( via e.g. the --premat option ) to resample to structural space.

Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster
FMRIB Centre