Hi,

Just to add to Paul’s email - it is also possible that what you are seeing is a registration failure, where it has incorrectly rotated the image by a large degree. This can result in labels being attached to the wrong parts of the anatomy, but is not really a failing in the labelling, or in any flipping, but just in the fact that the registration was poor.  Usually this can be fixed by using fslreorient2std followed by -nosearch on the flirt call.

As Paul says, flirt will *never* flip the left-right order (in terms of handedness) of the coordinate system, but that doesn’t mean that registrations never fail, and a full 180 rotation in various axes (which involves no flipping) will still end up giving you a result that looks very wrong, with labels that are also very wrong.  So I suspect that what you need is to fix the registration and not be concerned about the labels.

If you would prefer not to use fslreorient2std then you can also use -nosearch and -usesqform in the flirt call, as that should initialise the matrix to get the initial alignment correct.  Also, note that fslreorient2std does not flip left-right ordering either, but just does combinations of 90, 180 and 270 degree rotations about different axes.

All the best,
Mark