Dear all, (Apologies for crossposting)

The deadline for abstracts for the "Gender Studies Conference 2022: FEMINIST MATTERINGS - Indigenous and Arctic engagements" conference, which will take place at the University of Oulu in Finland, 30 November-2 December, 2022, has been extended to June 24th.

Milka Njoroge and I are organising a workshop entitled "Black Indigeneity: Refusing erasure, Toward relationality." The workshop will take place entirely online and we welcome papers from outside of Finland, which do not necessarily engage the Arctic.  In this workshop, we identify four conceptualizations of Black Indigeneity that are both inspired by Brazelton (2021) in the context of the Americas and the necessity to think with geopolitical spaces that entangle Blackness and Indigeneity as listed below:
1.     Communities that are both Black and Native, such as the Garifunas;
2.     The Black diaspora as a spread of peoples indigenous to Africa and Oceania;
3.     The possibility of ‘indigenization,’ as put forward by Sylvia Wynter;
4.     Black Indigenous peoples struggle for sovereignty, such as Kanaks in Kanaky/New Caledonia.
We invite papers that think expansively with/from Arctic ice geographies as well as other geographies as productive terrains that have capacities to undo white supremacy. Following Jen Rose Smith’s reflections on ice, we are curious about the possibilities that ice holds as elusive matter that signals “movements, shapes and conditions'' to push against “neat containers, of land, of ocean…” (The Funambulist 2022, p. 64). We are also interested in Wynter’s concept of indigenization - as a verb - (McKittrick 2016, p. 84) as the “radical practices of black humanization” (Ibid.) enacted by black diaspora “as geopolitical responses that unsettle antiblackness and objectification” to refuse placelessness. We are curious about rethinking placemaking and mobility as productive analytics that accounts for Black Indigenous and black and indigenous displacement and the absolutism of spatial claims manifested by antiblackness and settler colonialism. Indeed, while place is significant for (Black) Indigenous people’s claims to sovereignty and worldviews, the racial economy refuses black humanity through placelessness, immobility, and forced mobility. This workshop invites papers that think about the when and where of Blackness and Indigeneity in relation to gender, feminist knowledges and practices, that interrogate the compulsion to separate Blackness and Indigeneity, and think through solidarity and interconnectedness.

Deadline for abstract submission: June 24th

See here for more information: https://genderstudiesconference2022.edu.oulu.fi/workshops/4-black-indigeneity

Best wishes,

Anaïs

Anaïs Duong-Pedica