Dear CPD community,

We hope this email finds you well.

We are gearing up for the BISA 2022 Annual Conference. This will be the first face-to-face conference in the past two years, so we are keen to reconnect with as many of you as possible in-person. This year, we are pleased to host several exciting panels and events on the programme. Our working group will host an impressive 15 events including two panels via the virtual stream on Tuesday 14 June, followed by 7 roundtables and 6 panels during the face-to-face conference at the Civic Centre, Newcastle-upon-Tyne from Wednesday 15 to Friday 17 June.  Please do follow the CPD Twitter page (@BisaCPD) for regular updates throughout the Conference.

The CPD business meeting will take place in-person during the BISA Annual Conference on Wednesday, 15th June at Stephenson, Civic Centre from 12:15 to 13:15. We have also set up a zoom meeting for those who cannot be there in-person: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89421926860?pwd=azRrMVBWaTZlVkNDd01MaWxBRGxEQT09

We hope as many of you as possible will attend, as it’s a chance to meet up as well as raise any suggestions you may have with fellow members and co-convenors. If you have any items for the agenda, please send them to our email: [log in to unmask] by Friday 10 June 2022. We will then collate them and send the agenda to you in the days before the meeting.

Please see (some) of our event highlights below.

Looking forward to a wonderful and engaging BISA 2022.

Kind regards,

Jenna, Heba, and Sharri

Some CPD highlights from the Conference Programme

Tuesday, 14 June 2022

Virtual Panel: Surviving the post-imperial world: post- and decolonial perspectives to global challenges

4:45 - 6:15pm, Room 5

Chair: Somdeep Sen (Roskilde University)

Rio de Janeiro in the (inter)national circuit of tourism

Author: Caroline Gomes (Master´s student in Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro)

Decolonial Climates: rethinking the politics of climate change through Inuit art

Author: Christopher McAteer (York University, Toronto)

Decolonizing Activist Research: Ethical and Epistemological Considerations in Research with Communities of Color and Indigenous Communities

Author: Hannah El Silimy (University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa)

#IndiaStandsWithIsrael: Digital, participatory, transnational militarism on Indian Twitter during Israel’s May 2021 assault on Gaza

Authors: Derek Verbakel (York University) , Angshuman Choudhury (Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, New Delhi)

The Game of Climate Blame

Authors: Mohnish Mohammad (Jamia Millia Islamia) , Rehana Manzoor (Jawaharlal Nehru University)

Wednesday, 15 June 2022

Roundtable: Beyond Wilful Ignorance: A British Truth-Telling Commission on Colonialism?

1:15 – 2:45pm History Room, Student Union

Chair: Asha Herten-Crabb (London School of Economics and Political Science)

Participants: Gurminder Bhambra (University of Sussex)

Lisa Tilley (Birkbeck, University of London)

Bill Rolston (Ulster University)

Gary Younge (University of Manchester)

Kojo Koram (Birkbeck University)

Thursday, 16 June 2022

Roundtable: Abolitionist Thinking as an unanswered question

4.45-6.15pm, Dobson, Civic Centre

Chair: Sharri Plonski (Queen Mary University of London)

Participants: Jasmine Gani (University of St Andrews)

Sabrina Villenave (University of Manchester)

Jessica Oddy (University of East London)

Taylor Borowetz (SOAS University of London)

Friday, 17 June 2022

Roundtable: Global struggles, anti-carceral solidarities and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign

9:00-10.30am, Collingwood, Civic Centre

Chair: Sharri Plonski (Queen Mary University of London)

Participants: Elian Weizman (London South Bank University (LSBU))

Lisa Tilley (SOAS, University of London)

Rhys Machold (University of Glasgow)

Sharri Plonski (Queen Mary University of London)

Somdeep Sen (Roskilde University)

Rafeef Ziadah (Kings College London)

Nivi Manchanda (Queen Mary University of London)

Colonial, Postcolonial and Decolonial Working Group Prize Panel – (sponsored by Review of International Studies)

1.15-2.45pm, Collingwood, Civic Centre

Chair: Martin Coward (The University of Manchester)

Participants: Maia Entwistle (Queen Mary London)

Asma Abdi (Warwick University)

Heba Youssef (University of Brighton)

Sharri Plonski (Queen Mary University of London)

Jenna Marshall (Kings College London)

Nivi Manchanda (Queen Mary University of London)

--------------------- *--------------------- You have received this mail via the mailing list for the Colonial / Postcolonial / De-colonial Working Group of the British International Studies Association. The purposes of the mailing list are a) notification of events, calls for papers, member publications etc of interest to members and b) for administrative matters pertaining to the Working Group. To send a message to all the people currently subscribed to this list, please send an email to [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>. Messages are moderated by the list owner. To unsubscribe from this list click this link: https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CPDBISA&A=1 . If you have further problems or queries please email Sharri Plonski at [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> ----------------------* ----------------------