Hi Elise

I have experienced a similar situation, managing the Caravan and Motorhome Club Collection which is hosted at the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu. As an alternative to a loan, the collection has been hosted at the National Motor Museum since 2006 under a long-term partnership management agreement between both organisations. As part of this agreement, the collection was relocated to the NMM and my post has been sponsored by the Club. The formal management of the collection in-line with Accreditation standards has subsequently been introduced.

We have had the same frustration, being unable to find a suitable solution to fully protect the collection long-term due to its governance, and have reached a similar conclusion that the only way to achieve this would be by turning the collection into a Trust. This is something that we are not currently considering for a number of reasons, but may be something to explore in the future.

However, in my experience (and with the absence of more formal options) the process alone of establishing the Club’s collection within a high profile Museum setting has been extremely positive in raising its significance internally and externally, therefore informally adding more protection. Since being hosted at the NMM the Club has made a significant investment in improving the care, storage and management of the collection which in turn has provided a considerable asset in support a range of public outcomes including outreach, exhibitions, marketing and press. As a result, the collection has amassed a huge level of support from right across the organisation, so the benefits of a hosting agreement is something that I feel extremely positive about.

I’m more than happy to discuss further if that would be of help.

Best wishes

Angela

Angela Willis

Curator, Caravan and Motorhome Club Collection

The National Motor Museum Trust, Beaulieu

07767006206

Working Days: Monday – Wednesday

@camccollection

nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/CAMC_Collection