Date: 01 June 2022

https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/whats-on/inaugural-lecture-prof-nicki-martin-010622
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=Nicki+Martin+inagural+lecture&cvid=3daa8e4471e749bcb1cdd61cd7725b8b&aqs=edge..69i57.9752j0j1&FORM=ANSAB1&PC=W046>
Autism, Wellbeing and Fulfilment

Building inclusive education and employment through universal design

By Professor Nicki Martin, Professor of Social Justice and Inclusive Education, School of Law & Social Sciences, LSBU

Description: In July 2021 the Government's National strategy for autistic children, young people and adults: 2021 to 2026 was launched without a great deal of fanfare because of the pandemic. I am going to use my inaugural lecture to reflect on my own autism research , which spans more than two decades, alongside the recommendations of the new strategy.  My research has been  increasingly  informed by autistic scholarship and participatory and emancipatory research principles, based on the idea of 'Nothing About Us Without Us'. I am not autistic but identify as a neurodiverse ally, although allyship with autistic people  cannot be claimed without external validation from autistic people.

Emancipatory autism research is about real involvement of autistic people in autism research designed to be useful to autistic people. I will be thinking about my possible allyship in relation to supporting autistic scholars to secure and thrive in paid roles as researchers in universities . One of the strands of the strategy  focusses on employment and I will reflect on this ,drawing on my research about employment of autistic people in academia. I will also look at other aspects of the strategy in relation to my research across the lifespan, particularly highlighting the great big gap around autism and ageing. My research is not all about autism, but good  autism practice has been shown to be good practice in various contexts because it is underpinned by principles of universal design. I will talk about ways in which universities could work better for autistic students with the understanding that the simple adjustments I propose would make university nicer for everyone.

Finally I will consider  what my research career is all about and whether anything I have done has been of any practical value in relation to making life a little bit better, primarily for autistic people, but more generally too. My definition of better is about equality of opportunity, inclusion and belonging, happiness, wellbeing and fulfilment.

Stephen Unwin explores the case for reform in the culture and politics of learning disabilities.
Need not diagnosis: towards a more realistic language and understanding Tickets, Thu 30 Jun 2022 at 17:30 | Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/need-not-diagnosis-towards-a-more-realistic-language-and-understanding-tickets-327110826287>

LSBU is proud to introduce the Professor Michael Lewis Annual Lecture series, kindly supported by alumnus Professor Michael Lewis MBE, and his wife Janina, to address current thinking on neurodiversity across the landscape of education and learning including special educational needs and disability support in order for individuals to thrive.

Experienced theatre and opera director, writer, teacher and Visiting Fellow and Writer in Residence for the CADS Research Group, Stephen Unwin (pictured below), will deliver the inaugural lecture; the first in a series of five. Stephen will address the need to develop more nuanced language around learning disabilities and the necessity of a shift to a new realism, where people are defined by need, not diagnosis.

Stephen is Chair of KIDS, a national charity that provides a wide range of services to disabled children, young people and their families in England, and is a campaigner for the rights and opportunities of learning-disabled people. He regularly writes on the subject in newspapers and his first play, All Our Children, about the Nazi persecution of the disabled, was a great success in London and New York.

Stephen's struggle in getting his son Joey, who has severe learning disabilities (SLD) and intractable epilepsy, the support he needs has led Stephen to dedicate his time to campaigning for the rights of people with learning disabilities as well as a change in the way that SLD is regarded.

In this lecture, Stephen will explore the case for reform in the culture and politics of learning disabilities, drawing on his own experiences.

We hope you will join us to be part of this important conversation and we look forward to seeing you there.

Copyright in this email and in any attachments belongs to London South Bank University. This email, and its attachments if any, may be confidential or legally privileged and is intended to be seen only by the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please note the following: (1) You should take immediate action to notify the sender and delete the original email and all copies from your computer systems; (2) You should not read copy or use the contents of the email nor disclose it or its existence to anyone else. The views expressed herein are those of the author(s) and should not be taken as those of London South Bank University, unless this is specifically stated. London South Bank University is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales. The following details apply to London South Bank University: Company number - 00986761; Registered office and trading address - 103 Borough Road London SE1 0AA; VAT number - 778 1116 17 Email address - [log in to unmask]