Dear All,.

Here just a reminder of the workshop "Ethnography Otherwise" to take place in Birmingham and online this Thursday May 26, 2 - 6.30 pm.

Ethnography Otherwise - May 26, 2 - 6.30 pm @ University of Birmingham and online.

Often associated with anthropology, ethnography is both a research method and a genre of writing. As a method, it is characterised by long-term engagement with the field, and direct participation in the lives of the communities and individuals whose experiences and perspectives ethnographers seek to document. As a genre, ethnography speaks the language of the ordinary and the everyday. It is a form of storytelling that documents dominant assumptions, but also questions and challenges them.

In this workshop, we will learn from the ordinary and think of ethnography as tool to expand our shared vocabulary of the possible, the social, the moral, the cultural and the political. We will seek to reimagine ethnography not just as a tool for describing what is, but also for envisaging what can be.

Performances, readings and storytelling by

Jose Sherwood Gonzalez, Orkideh Behrouzan, Lana Askari, Lee Campbell, Alexandros Plasatis, Niharika Pandit, Mathew Cerf and Ana Gutierrez

Roundtable on storytelling and ethnography with

Anand Pandian, Aman Sethi, Helena Wulff and the OtherwiseMag Collective

On zoom and on campus

On campus in Birmingham. ARTS Building LR7 (room 223).

OtherwiseMag

Otherwise Magazine is a magazine of ethnography and storytelling, and it is curated by a team editors within academia, writing practice and visual arts. We created Otherwise as a platform to allow our ethnography to speak and we are committed to see Otherwise as an interface between ethnographers and storytellers within and outside academia, including activism, professional writing, visual arts, and areas of life and work where opportunities for storytelling remain limited.

We accept submissions in a wide range of formats, including, but not limited to, short stories, long reads, biographical accounts, ethnographic descriptions, ethnography-based fiction, poetry, visual essays, graphic novels and collaborative storytelling.

We welcome writing and visual essays that are grounded in social encounters, experiential knowledge, research, or activism. We seek narrations, but we are also interested in critiques, discussions, essays and commentaries as long as they are led by storytelling.

For more info on what we publish, please check our website: otherwisemag.com/submitastory

image.png

Best,

Marco

To unsubscribe from the CREATIVE-WRITING list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=CREATIVE-WRITING&A=1