Dear all,

After a pre-Easter break, our next talk is this coming Wednesday at the usual time. Details below or on the website. I hope to see some of you there.

Grahame.

Speaker: Klara Stokes (Umeå University, Sweden)

Title: Rigid and flexible rod configurations of points and lines

Abstract:
A rod configuration is a geometric realization of a rank two incidence geometry (a hypergraph) in terms of points and line segments of Euclidean space, together with a notion of motion that treats the line segments as rigid bodies (rods). In this talk I will explain how to use combinatorics to decide if a rod configuration is rigid in the plane. I will also talk about flexible rod configurations and discuss some open problems. This is joint work with Signe Lundqvist and Lars-Daniel Öhman.