John Davis:
What a fascinating project. What is the inscription on the brass? Where was this instrument made? I am no botanist, but  check out Genista umbellata, which this stylized floppy cluster somewhat resembles. A more realistic broom, with many slender stalks, would be difficult to render in a durable fashion. Here is another idea. Might this rendering represent the exploding style (pistil plant part) of the broom flower in cross-section?
Best Wishes,
Charlotte M. Porter, Ph.D.