Try any old keys you have around, keep any that come in with vols, ask your colleagues to trawl at home – old - fashioned wardrobe or briefcase keys could work. I once took a selection of vols with such locks to an old-fashioned hardware store (defunct a number of years ago, but similar, or equivalent locksmiths may still hang on in places) whose staff enjoyed themselves rootling round for odd keys to fit them. I came away with several styles.

Someone suggested – once unpicked, or if they arrive open – unscrewing the housing and removing the plate. But unless you can be sure to keep them together that may (ironically) be more destructive than sawing or grinding, as it removes evidence of the mechanism

Jane

Please note, I do not have access to my Voice Mail messages

Jane Pudsey

Paper Conservator                           My normal days hours are:

Culture Coventry                             Mon/Tues wk 1

024 7623 7563                               Weds-Fri  wk 2