Hi Katharine (and hello Becki)

Sorry not to reply direct, my inbox is playing up a little so I couldn’t find all of the thread.

We use a range of methods for sound playback in the gallery, including molitor ear cones and directional speakers. At Wellcome Collection molitors are well used. User consultation with directional speaker has indicated that a floor marking sometimes helpful to indicate the sweet spot for listening.

Since the pandemic started we have replaced molitors with with headphone jacks so that people can either plug in their own (we flag the need at booking) or use a pair provided by us for pick up in the gallery. We then quarantine and/or clean these.

We also increasingly provide BSL interpretation of any audio-only work. At the moment we’re providing this via QR code that links to video that is subtitled and alongside transcript. We’re consulting on this with D/deaf people at the moment in order to refine the offer.

Happy to chat if that would be useful.

All the best

Georgia

Georgia Monk

Senior Project Manager, Exhibitions

07809 101 127

signature_1125177683

Now open:

On Happiness, a season of free activities and exhibitions that invite you to rethink how we feel good.

You will need to book a free ticket to enter the venue, and follow our safety measures. To book your ticket and to find out more, visit our website.

You can also explore our online events, collections and Stories on our website.