Dear Hist-Nat-Hist discussion list members,

Welcome to all our new list members - quite a few people have joined the
list during the past few weeks!

I thought I would email about the list and how to post a message. This
can also act as a reminder to existing list members.

All members of the list can send a message to everyone on the list. Type
your email as usual and send it to [log in to unmask]
Please note that it will not be posted immediately, all messages go
through an approval process so there may be a delay.

This is a moderated list so spam, commercial marketing and messages not
falling within our subject scope will not be posted. Please also try to
avoid attachments to your message.

So what type of messages do we encourage? We are always keen to
include:-

- news about the Society for the History of Natural History and our
journal 'Archives of Natural History'.
- queries you may need help with - someone on the list may be able to
help or give advice.
- discussions are encouraged.
- are you organising a conference and putting out a call for papers?
Then do go ahead and post a message.
- have you recently been involved in digitising a resource? Then let
list members know.
- do you have a job vacancy in your team? Then do post as members of the
list may know someone looking for a
   role, or wish to apply themselves.

If you see a message posted on the list and you can help or give some
advice, please do respond but be aware when your reply, your message
will be seen by all other list members. Please do not include any
confidential or sensitive information in your reply.

What is our subject scope? It is fairly broad, the best definition is
probably the one used by the Society for the History of Natural History
in our recently revised Byelaws:-

“The Society is instituted for the study of the historical and
bibliographical study of all branches of natural history, including
their social and cultural aspects, across all cultures".

We are interested in:-

- history and bibliography of all branches of natural history including,
botany, geology, palaeontology,
   zoology.
- the lives of naturalists - their correspondence, collections and
publications. The institutions to which they
   belonged.
- bibliographical study - rare books, illustrations and manuscripts

I hope this message helps and encourages you to use this list
effectively. I am looking forward to some interesting messages...

Best wishes

Ann

Ann Sylph

Secretary
Society for the History of Natural History. Registered Charity No.
210355

Website: https://shnh.org.uk/
Archives of Natural History: https://www.euppublishing.com/loi/anh
Twitter : @SHNHSocNatHist