Thanks for this Susannah, I hadn't seen this.

I was in contact with the APA earlier this year about their subject headings, many of which are completely inappropriate. I've reproduced the reply I had below for info (the email address I contacted in the first instance was [log in to unmask]).

Hi Mr. Clark --

I apologize that I didn't respond to your first inquiry regarding updates in our Thesaurus for our racial and ethnic group terms. We have been moving toward a more frequent update process since 2020, and our next update will be publicized in winter 2022.

The racial and ethnic group terms are an area that we had been planning to update prior to the pandemic, and are now able to examine again. I will be consulting several resources -- including our Department of Ethnic Minority Affairs, national and international organizations, websites, census data, and our research databases and references -- with the goal of being accurate and comprehensive. The specific issue of the term "Blacks" vs "African Americans" and "Whites" vs "White Americans" will be considered, along with terminology for groups we don't currently represent (e.g., People of Color, Middle Eastern and North African (MENA), European Americans, etc.).

Thank you very much for your feedback!  If you have any additional suggestions for specific racial or ethnic groups, I would be happy to hear from you.

Marisa Hughes

Many thanks,

Ian Clark
Academic Services Librarian for Psychology and Counselling
(Pronouns: he/him/his)

University of East London

Stratford Library and Learning Centre

Water Lane

London E15 4LZ

Please note my on campus hours are Tuesday and Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-4 (working from home Monday and Wednesday 9-5). 1-2-1 support at present is only available over Teams, not face-to-face.