Following on from our international workshops and panel discussions last month, we are pleased to announce the third event in our Autumn Programme. Our symposium on the enduring legacy of the late Marxist historian, Culture and Class: Rethinking EP. Thompson, will take place on Friday 22nd October (1pm UK/9pm Japan/8am US Eastern). Again, we have a distinguished panel to reflect on Thompson's enduring legacy for shared understandings of contemporary class formation and conflict across borders and cultures. Please come and join us and spread the word on this event. Once again we'll also be using simultaneous translation to overcome language barriers. Please register at: Culture & Class: Rethinking E.P. Thompson Tickets, Fri 22 Oct 2021 at 13:00 | Eventbrite

Panel 1. E. P. Thompson and Japan 13:00~ (UK time) = 21:00~ (Japan time) = 8:00~ (US Eastern time)

  1. Andrew Gordon (Harvard University‘Some reflections on the Making of the Japanese Working Class’2
  2. Hideo Ichihashi (Saitama University‘Class, Friendship and a “Capacity for Experience”: Young Workers of the 60’s in Japan’

Panel 2. Class and Historians: The Legacy of E. P. Thompson 14:00~ (UK time) = 22:00~ (Japan time) = 9:00~ (US Eastern time)

  1. Mike Savage (International Inequalities Institute, LSE‘The working class in the 21st century: dilemmas and possibilities?’
  2. Takao Matsumura (Keio University, Emeritus‘E. P. Thompson’s “History from Below” and dissemination of “Responsible History” ’

Niall Cunningham
Lecturer in Quantitative Human Geography
Room 3.104 Henry Daysh Building,

School of Geography, Politics & Sociology,

Newcastle University,

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE1 7RU

UK

E: [log in to unmask]

W: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/gps/staff/profile/niallcunningham.html#background

My feedback, guidance and consultation hours in 2021-22 are Mondays: 2-4, Wednesdays: 10:30-11:30.

Please book [log in to unmask]">here for online or in-person meetings.