Dear All,

Responding to Erin’s suggestions, ‘block’ in both definitions is obviously the right word for the the thing that prints. Term ‘woodblock’ is often used and has its place. It is usually used for knife cut side grain blocks, and 'wood-engraved block' for engraved end-grain blocks.
I am not so sure about ‘one-piece’ If you have a border block (singular) in your hands it is by definition one-piece in Erin’s sense of a single composition. If you had a coherent set for a single composition or a nonce collection of single pieces, you would have ‘border pieces’ (or parts?), not a ‘border block'. There is also the difficulty that large border blocks were made of (usually) 4 pieces jointed together. This might be expresses as ‘composite border woodblock’.
I am not so keen on factotum - the more plain words we use the better.

Best wishes,

Roger