Just to add a little, I am used to referring to these blocks as 'pierced' followed by a description of their use ie title page or trade card. And also compound, this in particular used to describe the security printing blocks. All best Graham

------ Original Message ------
From: "Elizabeth Savage" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 1 Oct, 21 At 15:09
Subject: Re: English term wanted

Ines, this is one English term we all might might spend a very long time searching for!

I’ve seen 'passe-partout' used for (fairly small) woodblocks with a (fairly small) hole for type, for example to allow a serial number in moveable type or an initial. I don’t believe I've seen the term used for a larger border, with a larger hole.

I’ve seen ‘frame’ used for a woodcut intended to surround another, and ‘border’ when a woodcut surrounds text. I don’t know if this is standard, though, and ‘frame’ in this context might imply the imitation of a physical frame.

I don’t know if there is a specific term for the woodblock(s) used to print a border, or if there needs to be. Would a descriptive approach, something like ‘woodblock for a border’ or ‘woodblock for a frame’, be appropriate?
--
All best

Elizabeth