German book people usually use the term “Titeleinfassung”

In English I would use “title-border”

Greetings from NYC

Armin

From: Announcement list for BlocksPlatesStones <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Ad Stijnman
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 8:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: English term wanted

Dear All,

Could anyone help me out, please? What would be the English term for what I call a 'border decoration block'? It concerns a 16th/17th-century decoratively cut woodblock with a hole in the middle into which fits another woodblock, the whole to be printed together; see examples attached. The 16th-century French term is escarreur. Any German term would also be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ad Stijnman.

Research: https://tulip88x.wixsite.com/ad--stijnman

Chambre of Commerce Utrecht (NL) no. 63006383

To unsubscribe from the BLOCKSPLATESSTONES list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=BLOCKSPLATESSTONES&A=1