Good Morning Family

A worrying report here about "therapeutic communities" in Brazil.  I very much hope that WFTC and FLACT is in a position to respond to this article.  Let's be absolutely clear.  Coercion/involuntary treatment and physical punishment have no place whatsoever in the therapeutic community.  (Nor, for me, has religion - but I recognise that is not a universal view and I remember that in Genoa this issue caused a great deal of division and confrontation).

That said, we should be aware that one of the great threats we face in the TC movement is the increasing number of organisations (many with completely unacceptable practices) which claim to be "therapeutic communities" but are clearly no such thing.  Inevitably, these rogue organisations 'poison the well' and undermine the good reputation of the real TC movement.

Read the Aljazeera article here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/1/bolsonaro-is-destroying-mental-health-care-to-favour-evangelicals

Rowdy Yates

Honorary Senior Research Fellow

Faculty of Social Sciences

University of Stirling

Honorary Vice President

European Federation of Therapeutic Communities

E: [log in to unmask]

T: +44 (0) 1764-683-385

M: +44 (0) 7734-255253

W: https://eftc.ngo (new EFTC website)

W: https://www.facebook.com/euroTCs (EFTC Facebook page)

W: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/therapeutic-communities.html (EFTC Discussion list)

The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2020
UK Sports University of the Year 2020 (Times Higher Good University Guide)
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.

To unsubscribe from the THERAPEUTIC-COMMUNITIES list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=THERAPEUTIC-COMMUNITIES&A=1