From: ENDNOTE INTEREST GROUP <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Paula Funnell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 23 August 2021 08:28
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Roaming access through Web of Science

Hi,

Following the discussion on this last week, I've had the following email back from Clarivate, which seems to be saying that accessing roaming access to EndNote via the Web of Science will not work unless students are logged in via the VPN.

Upon checking with our Internal Team, we realized that there is no issue with the roaming status and the connection with EndNote Online with Web of Science from your end. However, to answer your doubt, the Web of Science works only if it is associated with any institution. Roaming access is applied when a user is associated with an Institution.

The Roaming value in the EndNote Online subscription information only has 2 ways to display as below:
1) The number of days left
2) Roaming access has expired

Meanwhile, the VPN would need to specifically be set to use an IP Address that falls within the recognized range for your institution or for their subscription to Web of Science. Since, those users are using what should be a valid Institutional IP Address to get into the Web of Science, which should be acknowledged when they check their EndNote Online subscription information. Those users are institutional and, generally have access to the Web of Science since they are creating their EndNote Online accounts through it (or, trying to). If they're not attached to the University, they would not be getting access to the Web of Science, neither EndNote nor EndNote Online is packaged with any kind of entitlement to Web of Science (that includes any version of either product).

It should also be noted that some institutions enable OpenURL service for EndNote Web. This functionality would also be lost without an affiliation with an institution, which is also lost when roaming expires.

Hence:
- Without an institution, the user is not going to have Roaming access.
- Without an institution's VPN, the user is not at all likely to have access to Web of Science (which is not free or included with EndNote or EndNote Online in any way).

Has anyone managed to do this successfully via the new Web of Science? Is there anything that we need to do at our end to make it work? Or are they really not enabling roaming access to students signed in via our institution to the Web of Science?

If students are not able to sign up for the full version of EndNote Online it is likely that they are going to move to other referencing management tools.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Paula

Paula Funnell

Faculty Liaison Librarian, Medicine & Dentistry

Library Services

Queen Mary University of London
Whitechapel Library

Turner Street