A FRIENDLY REMINDER: if you click REPLY to this email, you will be sending an email to over 3000 subscribers. Please do so only if you wish to respond to everyone. To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit scudd.org.uk/members/scudd-mailing-list/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear colleagues,

Please find below the details of our PaR project, which promises to outrage purists while delighting aynone with an experimental streak.

What started out as a R&D piece to celebrate World Theatre Day in the midst of 'the great pandemic' of current times has become an act of rebellion. In fact, it has now turned into an empowering experience for all involved.

By reclaiming the  words of Shakespeare, we also re-state the argument that there is no one Bard! Shakespeare belongs to no one while at the same time he belongs to everyone...

We very much hope to find you among the audience throughout our extended run until the end of September.

[cid:3a47fd06-9528-4ba4-9169-dbb7af83472f]

Naz Yeni & Stephanie Tillotson
Seyyar Company
www.seyyar.company<http://www.seyyar.company>

MIGRANT SHAKESPEARE
now on the digital stage of C venues at Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Trailer link on:                                                                   [cid:7497df76-0efc-4ca2-9905-eba015229f0a]
https://vimeo.com/591336545

Pay what you can tickets from as low as £3 on:
https://res.cthearts.com/event/34:3459

Hamlet’s famous advice to the players goes: ‘Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue.’ But what do you do as a performer if you are living within a culture that sees you as an alien, as ‘other’?

Seyyar Company turn their creative sights onto the Bard. Shakespeare, more often than not, may be perceived to be closed to migrants, foreigners and outsiders, who with their perceived defective language skills must occupy a theatrical void. Migrant Shakespeare challenges this assumption, while at the same time offering audiences a peep into ‘otherness’, asking what happens when Shakespeare is migrated to another culture?

Here, in an act of cultural rebellion, Seyyar Company transforms Shakespeare’s characters into the roles that have socially and politically defined the migrant experience: Hamlet is a meat-packer, King Lear a construction worker, Caliban a hotel cleaner. Lady Macbeth is a housewife looking after children. Shylock washes the dishes in a restaurant. Magician Prospero is confined within a wholesale warehouse limited to fulfilling our delivery demands.

For these migrant actors from Turkey who have moved across borders, the act of migration has turned their sense of normality upside down, knocking their existence off-balance. Despite their training and experience, as first-generation migrant performers, uttering Shakespeare’s words on British stages can be unimaginable – let alone possible. In this production, Seyyar Company takes on marginalisation, offering a very different interpretation of some of the Bard’s most iconic speeches, translating them into settings audiences would never have expected. Now it is their turn to topple the expectations around how to perceive our national poet.

Instability is at the heart of Shakespeare’s plays. Time and again he shows that it is only in faraway places and in different realities that we begin to discover other possibilities that exist within us. It is only in Bohemia, Illyria or on an isolated island that our other selves are revealed. By placing Shakespeare to alien contexts, Migrant Shakespeare offers us other understandings of the world-famous dramatist, situating him inside the alternate universe that is the experience of the migrant. There is no one bard, and this is Shakespeare as you have never seen him before: ‘trippingly on the tongue.’

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/591336545

[cid:8dfc521a-3d89-4d4d-a1de-7d8db4d8f1ec]

www.seyyar.company<http://www.seyyar.company>

Content posted in these emails does not represent SCUDD, but the views of the individual poster. Events advertised via the list are not necessarily endorsed by SCUDD. Any complaints, requests or comments about list usage can be addressed to [log in to unmask] but Mark WILL NOT handle requests to unsubscribe: To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list