Hi Sam

In case you haven’t already read chapter 12 of the Cochrane handbook, I’d recommend looking at the worked examples it provides. The example review looked at effects of midwife-led care and the overarching outcome was maternal satisfaction of care, which combined various types of outcomes – it might give you inspiration about how valid it would be to combine all your outcomes.

https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/current/chapter-12

(If the webpage says a Cochrane account is required, it is free to register for a Cochrane account).

I’d be looking for the highest/broadest level that the outcomes could be legitimately grouped. If your review question is exploring whether health literacy interventions work/result in beneficial outcomes, then perhaps the studies could all be combined. However, I wonder whether there is a difference between outcomes where health literacy has an impact on different types of health, and outcomes more closely related to health literacy ability (e.g. recognition of medical words). Please note, I don’t have expertise in the health literacy field.

From your description of the outcomes, would it be valid to group the outcomes into ‘health outcomes’ and ‘knowledge related outcomes’ within the face to face and distance groups? Would there be enough data in each/most of these groups to allow a meaningful synthesis? If the groups get so disparate that the synthesis is merely a report of the results of each individual study, this probably reduces the usefulness of the review for your end users.

Thinking about what will be useful for those who use your review, and being able to include a clear justification about why you grouped the outcomes as you did, are tactics that help me figure out how best to combine studies/data.

I hope this helps, and glad to hear any comments/opinions from others.

Best wishes

Mhairi

Mhairi Campbell

Investigator Scientist

MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit

University of Glasgow

Berkeley Square

99 Berkeley Street

Glasgow G3 7HR