From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Justin Jagosh
Sent: Saturday, 22 May 2021 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Indirect evidence

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask] from the 'To:' section of your email.

Dear Marc,

You wrote:

What are the ways in which a mechanism can be inferred when the degree of richness within pieces of evidence is low?

Rely on the principles of transferability and transparency.

Transferability: Is there an evidence-based theory in another sector or area that you can use to support your inference – looking internationally you will examples of such integration, or maybe not.

Transparency: If you can not locate suitable evidence, describe why that is. One possibility is the fact you may be the first in your field to construct such as theory. But if that is true, can you interview key stakeholders and have them adjudicate on your theory. If you are trying to answer this through synthesis alone, - earmark the theory in ‘section for future research’ in which you propose the need for first hand data collection on the important bits that did not get tested in the synthesis due to lack of evidence. It may an evidence-inspired theory that over time becomes an evidence-based theory.

Regulation as a pre-condition to integration is a reasonable idea. Keep building up your thinking around the theory area. The peripheral parts of your theorizing may end up becoming central over time.

Best of luck,

Justin

Justin Jagosh, PhD

Director, Centre for Advancement in Realist Evaluation and Synthesis (CARES)

www.realistmethodology-cares.org

& Honorary Associate, University of Liverpool

Jagosh, J. (2020) Retroductive Theorizing in Pawson and Tilley’s Applied Scientific Realism. Journal of Critical Realism. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14767430.2020.1723301