PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask] from the 'To:' section of your email.

Great question Fiona

I agree with your reservations about "reasoning" which sounds very logical and rational.  I have occasionally got the Dalkin R&R mixed up and said "response" which actually I feel is the better word!

Reasons (not reasonings!) for that are (1) As you acknowledge our responses can often be affective (2) they may sidestep conscious thought and may therefore be difficult to articulate rationally (3) there is a plethora of writings on rapid thought (as for example as underpinning nudge theory) which suggests that the same situation could activate an immediate response and a more measured response in the same person. I think response would also help when thinking about organisational responses where the same decision, say in a committee, is reached but different individual responses activate the collective response.

But maybe I am just being unreasonable!

Best wishes

Andfrew