Hi all,

Yes, we’re at that point again. We revisited our risk assessments, processes and procedures and will be opening on a limited basis through bookings for the reading room (7 spaces to allow distancing of 2m, operating between 11am and 3pm). It is very much like we were before Christmas, except for a few research project requests for more intense access, where we are looking to use a separate space to accommodate  4 researchers to facilitate this. The same measures are in place there as for our reading room.

Again, it will be limited numbers of staff on site, who are required to run the service. Our project and other staff can book time in around this and our managers assess each request for access for staff and project work to ensure co-ordination is achieved and we don’t have clashes of people needing access to stores, collections and too many people to maintain distancing and H&S. We have communication groups in teams for checking in and out of the building, stores and activity that is happening.

The University is looking at hybrid approaches for the Autumn and this is very much a shifting thing as planning is taken forward. Our User Services Manager is scenario mapping and planning with input from the rest of us around some of the possible asks of us for further people and services to be available or on site.

I hope this gives a bit of an overview, but we’re very happy to share anything we learn or to learn from anyone else’s experiences, so we can do this safely and sensibly.

All the best

Rachel

Rachel Hosker

Archives Manager and Deputy Head of Special Collections

Centre for Research Collections

University of Edinburgh

Main Library

George Square